Summer is the time for fun outdoor activities. Spending time in the sun will help boost your bone health, but you also need to fuel your body correctly to support your active lifestyle. Make sure your summer snacks contain these foods to strengthen your bones and joints.
- Eggs: They are a very versatile and easily digestible source of proteins and fats that build collagen and bone tissue. The yolks are a good source of vitamin D which helps in the absorption of calcium from food.
- Cheese: It is rich in protein, phosphorus, and vitamin K2. These nutrients are vital for boosting bone health.
- Yogurt: According to research more than 4 servings of yogurt a week has been associated with improvement in bone density and reduction in risk of fractures.
- Almonds: They are a good source of phosphorus which helps in building stronger bones. Snacking on a handful of almonds will help control your appetite and strengthen your bones as well.
- Sardines: Fatty fish such as sardines are a good source of vitamin D and omega 3 fatty acids which are excellent for improving bone and joint health.
- Dark green leafy vegetables: Dried kale chips, crunchy bell peppers, or pickled okra are healthy snacks packed with calcium, vitamin D, and other bone healthy nutrients.
- Fruits: Oranges, pineapple, strawberries, and papaya are some fruits that are rich in vitamin C, which is essential for the production of collagen and has antioxidants that protect against bone damage.
Adding these foods to your diet will help slow down age-related bone loss and reduce the risk of fractures. If you have joint pain or other bone-related problems, book an appointment with us for a thorough evaluation and treatment recommendation.
Dr. Yaser A. Metwally is board-certified by both the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery and the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada. He received his fellowship of Reconstructive Surgery from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota and specializes in hip and knee replacement surgery.